100 Most asked questions by Chemical Engineers


download the ASKNORMLIEBERMAN APP http://h.fanapp.mobi/asknormlieberman1


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vacuum Systems

Norm – I was reading your chapter on vacuum system operation. You talked about how raising the level in the seal drum can improve vacuum. I have observed this on our vacuum tower myself.  Certainly, this is not normal. We have to flood our seal drum to sustain a reasonable vacuum.
--Harvey C.

            Harvey – Unfortunately, you have developed a leak in the barometric drain line (i.e., your seal leg inside the seal drum). This is caused by biological corrosion. Raising the level to submerge this leak stops the seal drum gas from getting sucked-up into the leg and interfering with this drainage. I know it seems backwards, but flooding the drum will lower the condensate back-up level in the condenser. This lowers the vapor outlet temperature from the condenser and thus unloads the downstream ejectors.
            I suggest that you add some biocide to your seal drum to suppress the biological corrosion. Then, during the next turnaround, replace the carbon steel seal legs with 316 (L) S.S., or whatever allon is suitable for your service.
            I’ve discussed a similar incident in my book, Troubleshooting Process Operations, 4th Edition, PennWell Publications.
--Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment