100 Most asked questions by Chemical Engineers


download the ASKNORMLIEBERMAN APP http://h.fanapp.mobi/asknormlieberman1


Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Vacuum Systems

Norm – I was reading Troubleshooting Process Operations. In your chapter on vacuum towers, you talked about gas composition of the sea drum off-gas. I sampled this stream. It is 40% hydrogen sulfide. Is this possible? My boss said that I have done something wrong.
--Raymond

            Raymond – First, let me warn you to be careful. One breath of that off-gas will knock you out. Yes, I’ve measured up to 40% myself in Aruba, when the vacuum tower bottoms was about 4% sulfur. There is not much to be done to reduce the H2S concentration. More typically, I see off-gas in the 10%-20% H2S range. I hope this helps with your supervisor.
--Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment