100 Most asked questions by Chemical Engineers


download the ASKNORMLIEBERMAN APP http://h.fanapp.mobi/asknormlieberman1


Friday, July 8, 2011

Distillation

Mr. Lieberman. I am an operator in a refinery. My tower must operate at the same reflux flow at the small and big feed rates. Why can’t I reduce the reflux by half when I reduce the feed rate by half?

--Vaidus, Lithuania

Vaidus – I imagine that you have valve, sieve, or grid trays rather than bubble cap tray decks. Likely your trays are not level. You then have to keep a high vapor rate to generate enough vapor delta P to keep enough pressure below the tray decks to prevent liquid leakage at the sagging portions of the trays. Once liquid leaks through such out-of-level trays, fractionation efficiency will be ruined. The high vapor flow is generated by high reflux flows.

--Norm

No comments:

Post a Comment